Monday, March 26, 2007

My new Hell

For the past 7 years that Aaron and I have been married I have always known that when I get to the other side and if I don't make it to Heaven, my Hell would be to sew scout patches on scout shirts for eternity. Well, that is no longer the case - I now know that it can get much worse.

As most of you know we are putting in a new sprinkler system.
Here is Aaron using a trencher - wasn't that a great idea to use a trencher?!
Here is a picture of some of our trenches.
Now to my Hell. Over the past few days some of our trenches have filled in due to little girls jumping back and forth over them, over and over, the extremely high winds of today, and maybe because our soil is so dry that it just falls back in. If I don't make it to heaven, I will be digging out trenches - not just digging out any trenches, but trenches that are so dry that when you scoop up dirt on your shovel and just when you think it is really full, you watch it all fall off your shovel and back into the trench. And I am sure this is what the trenches will look like, only they will go on forever and forever.
I promise there is a trench in there.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fill trenches at night, so you pay me to help dig in day. I dig for $10/hour. I also no leave gate open for 2 weeks, already.

Brandon said...

My Hell would involve living in a house where the occupants carelessly toss thier pennies around on the floor (specifically the shag carpeting) without bothering to pick them up. Ooooh, I hate pennies, like you hate dirt. My roomates in college did this thing where they would flip them accross the room, and it would make my skin crawl. One time, we hired this new guy at work who did the same thing. I told him I would get him fired if he ever did it again - and I was serious.

I also once watched Tom Green take jars full of pennies and put them in his mouth. I almost threw up.

Brandon said...

p.s. I love sprinkling systems. Did you buy some trenching shovels? In Utah, some people do this thing where they have thier pipe 'pulled' through the ground. It is kind of like the orthoscopic surgery of landscaping. It puts the pipe down at a certain depth and only leaves a small trace that there was ever even a trench there. Then, it leaves you to only connect the pipes. As a purist, I find this practice a bit awkward and too modern (like how Nettie won't heat food in a microwave). But, to each his own. Good luck with the sprinklers. Post a copy of your plan, if possible. Are you going to use mini-paws? They are effective, but pretty loud - and you normally want them to come on when you are sleeping... let me know.

Anonymous said...

andy hates pennies too. but i don't think for the same reasons. that's weird...

Rob said...

My job description consists of being at the bottom of trenches shoveling dirt. most of the time however our trenches are 8-10 feet deep and five feet wide and i have to stay in a big steel box so if ever the sides cave in i won't be smashed. so kim if you are claustrophobic, you could have two hells in one little basket.

Kim said...

You guys crack me up - yes, we did buy a trenching shovel and i think that is what makes it so bad - I have this 3 inch shovel so by the time i get it lifted out, there is maybe a cup of dirt on it - maybe.

Garn said...

I recomend a serving spoon. It will work much better than a trenching shovel. Makes up for all the times you were nice and warm in the house as Robb and I worked our butts off in the freezing cold to keep the calves alive, so you could have food to eat.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I'm with you... I hated putting our sprinkling system in too. It's Brandon's hobby, he loved it! My favorite part was filling the trenches back in cause I knew it was almost finish. Our soil was completely opposite to yours... Clay, when it was wet we had puddles all over and when it was dry it was concrete. A mix of the two would be nice!

p.s. lol for the last comment

nettie said...

I haven't ever dug a trench, but we could sure use you guys out here to put in our sprinkler system...(emily we have clay too, but ours probably is never as hard as yours since it's wetter here.)

About your ex-hell (sewing patches on scout shirts), you could do what Jeff's cubs did in our old ward and tape the patches on. Easy-peasy!

Heidi said...

I think my personal hell right now is waking up in the middle of the night, unable to fall back asleep, wondering how much the landscaper is going to "estimate" our sprinkling system at and knowing that if it's too much for me to afford I may never have a sprinkling system...or lawn...or any type of backyard except for dirt and a fort. Interestingly enough, I lived that hell just last night. You see, there is a big part of me that says we should be doing this work ourselves...a really big part of me. But, then there's the part of me that says if I wait around for Jeremiah and my dad, it will never happen. Did I mention that I'm 7 months pregnant and not really in a condition to be putting in a sprinkler system myself? So, I hope the landscaper can do it so I can afford it. Thank you for providing a forum in which to vent this nightmarish hell. I hope you go to heaven!

Garn said...

When are you getting the landscaper to come Heidi?

Kim said...

Heidi - don't you remember you have the best salesman at UPS - once he does really well this quarter it will be no problem!

Heidi said...

The landscaper came on Monday to measure and find out what I want. He should have his estimate by week's end. Then I have to decide what I can afford... You're right, Kim, I had forgotten about the quarterly compensation...I may just get my sprinkler system yet! The question of the day is, will Jeremiah ever get to replace his 8 year old bike with thousands and thousands of miles on it...? That is a topic for AFTER the landscaping estimate! ;)

Anonymous said...

heidi,
i know a good trench digger-- she comes cheap!

Dacia said...

you are right, I have to be righteous, no trench digging for me