For those of you not familiar with Fallon, our high school mascot is the Greenwave. What is a Greenwave? Well, when you look out over the fields and see the green fields waving in the wind, that is a greenwave. . . Hmmmmmm. So is that a good thing????Every time I look out the window and see green waves I want to scream or cuss or kick something. I know that whatever is causing the green wave is also wreaking havoc on all that is good and wonderful in our garden and our flowers. So what is this supposed to mean? As Fallonites do we represent what is tearing things apart and if so, why are we not called the windstorms? Or do we represent the green fields that are trying to stand against the wind that look pretty flimsy and wimpy?
We have had many wind storms this year and I have been wondering about this perplexing thought often as I am frequently viewing quite the green waves. . .
11 comments:
you grew up in Rupert. You should be used to the wind.
Kim, sometime we need to sit down and talk about what Fallon really is all about. I need to get the real story from someone who's not native :) After all, that is our future blowing in those fields...
ahem. Mary? I thought we covered this at the BBQ. DO you need to go over it again?
1) You've got to understand the irrigation district. It is core to thier way of life.
2) There are a few key families you need to keep up on. Examples are Sorensens (legions of them), the Whitakers, the Bakes, the Hydes, the Pursells, the Weeds, etc.
3) The third part is the key: Life in Fallon resembles life inside a Norman Rockwel painting... except for the desert aspect. (more on this in a later post).
4) Gender roles are clearly defined. Any man is asked, "so what kind of a farmer are you?" - and I've never met a Fallon wife who can't cook up a storm.
Do we need to review the finer points here? I'm out of time now, but give me a call, and I can break it down in finer detail for you. I have most of this well documented.
Mary - we definitely can talk - Brandon, as much as he likes to think he knows about Fallon, can't really get the full picture visiting 7 days out of the year, which is usually filled with catastrophes. Despite the wind, which is uncharacteristically frequent this year and that our mascot is the Greenwave, Fallon is a GREAT place to live.
at first when I saw the top picture I thought it was a really great rain storm...I then realized it's just the wind and dust. the rain here (and wind) decapitated my squash plants. Seriously. It was cut off at the base of the plant. If it's not one thing it's another.
Oh, I know Fallon, all right. Here is another observation:
We know as a universal truth that the level of insanity of a person is directly proportionate to the number of keys one has hanging from thier belt, right?
I'm pretty sure Fallonites have more keys per belt than any other place I've been in my life.
By the way, I'm pretty sure that Jeff Peterson's mom thinks I am married to Kelli. See my blog (the comments section of Nettie's blog) for more detail...
Wow Kim, it appears you have really convinced yourself...Who knew a super walmart would do so much for your psychy...
"Despite the wind, which is uncharacteristically frequent this year and that our mascot is the Greenwave, Fallon is a GREAT place to live."
Chris, just because you can't leave happy valley doesn't mean everywhere else is bad.
too bad andy wasn't there for the wind storm. while we were home we were leaning on the fence looking at the field and he said, "i see the green, but i don't see the wave"... just be thankful to have the green. in las vegas we get the wind, but now alfalfa to make it a greenwave
Kim, I'm so glad that you keep all those boys that comment on your blog in line. Fallon IS a GREAT place to live...I miss it A LOT. Garn, you would love it, too, if you could just break away from Zion. Brandon, I am transplant to Fallon...so, I have to agree with Kim...7 days a year just doesn't do it for you. Although I do appreciate your commentary...you are quite witty.
Kim, be glad for the wind...at least it's a change from the heat!
Post a Comment