Friday, January 19, 2007

A Pullin' Thing

Last October we first asked the girls what they wanted for Christmas. Kailyn said that she wanted 'a pullin' thing'. It took us a little while to know what she was talking about, but after putting together everything she told us about it we figured out that this is what it was.

So after searching for a while we found it at Toys R Us - its a cheap toy maybe $12 for the light up one and like $7 for the one pictured above. We started out with a light up one and we wrapped it and put it under the tree. When she unwrapped it she was so excited! We sent her over to Grandpa Sorensen to deal with removing it from the box. Now, if any of you have opened a child's toy from a packaged box you know that minor surgery is required to get the dang things out. So he began his job with the wire cutters and snipped all the wires that would free the toy. As he was doing this I heard him say "There's strings on this, too" Or something to that effect - so when he was finished he handed it to Kailyn who looked at it, and puzzled, couldn't figure out how to "pull it". "Mom where's the pullin thing?" We quickly discovered that the pullin thing had been snipped in the removal process. We had to explain to her what had happened and that we would get her a new one. While she was sad we luckily could quickly distract her with another present. I think Grandpa felt bad and Grandma went in like the next day to Walmart to replace it (I had seen one there a couple of days before Christmas) and sure enough they were out. Aaron and I were able to get to Reno a week ago and we got another one - not quite as fancy - but Kailyn would never know. So we are all so excited that we have this new 'Pullin Thing' -- and I swear it is broken. It is so hard to pull and it catches all the time. I can maybe get it to fly like one in 10 times and the girls can't even do it - they get hit in the face with the wings and frustrated that they can't make her fly. So I tell Aaron that it is broken and we are going to return it. Of course the FIRST TIME he pulls it she flies perfectly, and every time he does it, and he says, "Oh it is just a cheap toy, if we were to get another one it would do the same thing". I agree with him and decide I will just keep trying and maybe I am doing it wrong.
BUT I STILL CAN'T GET IT TO FLY!
Now that it is a week later and the girls still can't fly her I am completely convinced that no way could they continue to keep this toy on the market if it works the way it does for us - no one would buy it! (Unless they are as stupid as us) So I have a bet with Aaron that it is broken and even if I have to buy another one I will show him that they are not all this way.
(at least I really hope not)

2 comments:

Garn said...

I have to go with history on this one...Aaron is right.

Rob said...

i read this in the computer lab at suu with 50 other people around and i had a hard time holding in my laugh at the mental picture of the "wings" smacking someone in the face while trying to pull the string. I know its not funny, but its a funny mental picture.