Afterwards, I had to make a 'quick' trip to Costco to get a few things. The kids were pretty tired just driving there so I thought that I would accommodate them and let them all ride in the basket. Now I consider myself crazy on occasion and this would definitely have been one of those occasions - walking in to Costco I am pushing around 100 pounds. By the time I get to the back of the store I am already exhausted and as we get 50 pounds of sugar, probably 20 pounds of laundry soup, 8 pounds of cheese plus all the other little things, I am push/pulling the cart and dragging myself along. I deal with crying girls who just want a really cute jacket and want to look at all the clothes and want every book they see, and a boy who just wants to bug the girls by pushing over their fort (made by paper towels and walls of cold cereal and cheese) and teasing and just being Wyatt - somewhere in the middle of all that Kailyn mentions she has to go to the bathroom.
We get to the checkstand and I order food there - I want to be done with this place and out of Carson City. The one problem is that I don't particularly care for Costco food so I opt out and only get for the kids - I can stop at a drive through on the way out. Well, as we are waiting for our food I notice turkey wraps and think, oh yeah that sounds good, I'll get that. So, I haul the heavy cart and the kids - some are out by now - to the food ordering place and order. I hand them my credit card, "sorry mam, we don't take credit cards here." I say, "Well, than forget the order, I don't have any cash on me." He says, "Oh the manager can ring you up" So a manager comes along and I haul the heavy cart and the kids over to the customer service desk and pay for it. We make our way back to the food place. We get our food and juggle everything to a table. We sit down I get all the food sorted out I go get waters (in paper cups with no lids) I come back and sit down and take a bite of turkey. "Kailyn quick wiggling around and just eat!" I really want to get out of this place. "But mom, I REALLY HAVE to go to the bathroom!" I am sure everyone knows where the bathrooms are - not next to the food place. In my head I think I should be so ticked off, but for some reason I just want to laugh and I hope that someone has it on camera so that they can get a good laugh. So I work the food in the cart so it won't spill, which of course is where Wyatt would sit so I situate him on my hip put the girls in charge of carrying their water and we make the trek to the bathroom. We made it back and got our food eaten without any more delays and I was sooooo grateful to leave that Costco. Needless to say, we did not get out of that car again until we arrived home. . . It was a long day.
I know that was really long - but one more funny thing - Aaron is raising a politically-minded little person. Today we get in the car after church and as we exit the parking lot Ashley and my conversation goes something like this:
A: Mom, why don't we like Obama?
Me: We don't believe the same things.
A: Who is Obama?
Me: He is running for president of the United States. You know like President Bush? He wants to do what he does.
A: Well why did he call Sarah a pig?
I am laughing inside so hard but keeping a straight face - I thought for sure she must have heard someone talking at church.
Me: Sarah Palin?
A: Yeah.
Me: Well, sometimes when people are running for office they don't say very nice things.
A: Who is Sarah Palin?
I explain who she is and Ashley wants to know what a vice-president is and on and on.
A: Obama is an adult and adults should be nice.
Me: Yeah, he is a nice person, he just said a not nice thing.
I found out that whenever the whole pig incident happened, Ashley was standing at the computer while I did her hair and read the article about it. Ashley I guess read the article too/heard Aaron's and my conversation and it took her a week to process or something. It was quiet for a while and then about a mile from home she asked:
A: Mom, is Ron Paul running for district Judge?
After that one I had to crack up - she is just so serious and so dang cute!
11 comments:
There ought to be a sign at the Costco Food place that say's "Cash Only." Once I bought a smoothie there for $1.06 and I only had a credit card on me too. They didn't offer to let the manager run it though. I was standing there like an idiot, trying to refuse having to pay for this smoothie until the guy behind me offered to cough up the $1+ in change and pay for my stupid drink. It was embarrassing.
Ashley is so smart! what books is (are?) she reading these days?
is
I am voting for Obama.
you are quite a trooper kim... how does ashley catch on to these things?
Chris - are you trying to shock me?
Ben's been asking about the stockard signs everywhere - so I totally understand about trying to explain political stuff to the youngsters! It's tough - Now he yells out "Tom Stockard" everytime he sees a sign!
We had a similar experience in Costco yesterday...only it included leaving milk in the hot car for 20 minutes while we went back into the bathroom and bought the stuff we forgot the first time! I HATE Costco by myself with kids! You are a real trooper.
Jeron hasn't had a lot to say, politically speaking this election year. Here's our conversation from two years ago...
J-Who's Jill Derby?
M-She's a candidate for US Congress. (I explain what that means and what congresspeople do).
J-So, she wants to make this a better place to live?
M-Yep.
J-I hear her values are straight off the ranch.
M-(Stifling my laughter) I've heard that, too!
How did these kids get so smart!?
Kim,I so remember those days in stores with my kids. Believe it or not you will miss it one day. Mine have grown up so fast. where does the time go. Thanks for bringing up the memories. Tell Aaron I said hi. Love, Dana
I have been known to push my big Costco cart into the big Costco bathroom and into the big handicap stall just so I didn't have to get both kids out of the cart and wash both kids hands. I can't image bathroom trips with 3 kids.
Kids these days have more gears churning in their little brains than they used to. Ashley is so funny!
Kim, that is so funny- the political conversation and the Costco experience. You are a great mom :o)
Post a Comment