This summer we are participating in the public library's summer reading program. I am so impressed with it - I wish that I had done it before. There are two options - the read-to-me program that Kailyn is doing, we have to read to her 30 minutes five days a week - and Ashley has to read 30 minutes herself five days a week. Of course Ashley has taken this very seriously - she loves to read so she helps remind us every day to do it. Our plan is that Ashley reads to Kailyn for 15 minutes (that counts for both of them) and then Ashley gets to read on her own and I read to Kailyn to finish up the time. It has been so fun to read together - not that we didn't before, but with it being more organized or something I feel that we get so much more reading time in.
At the end of the week, if they have completed the requirement, they get to choose a free book and they get some kind of prize - last weeks was a free milkshake at Jack in the Box. At the end of the summer they will get a free T-shirt also! The girls love it!
This is Ashley trying to climb up the swing set so she can read on it. . .
funny girl!
15 comments:
I am so going to the local library to see if we have something like that!? As it stands, I have made contracts with the kids, but I think the library would be better!
Good job, Ash! You are an amazing reader.
oh my gosh, i love ashley. i also love the fallon library...
I remember doing that as a kid, I loved having the challenge as well as having another excuse to read... if only I could still get prizes for how much I read.
ashley is too funny. Love the sunglasses.
Stereotypical posting from Jamie:
"Oh my gosh. I love [insert niece or nephew's name here]. He/she is so cute!"
Occasionally, when she is feeling frivilous, she will throw in additional comments about things she hates or loves (see above about the Fallon Library). She will also toss out the "can't wait to see you" remark - if there is a pilgrimage to the homeland on the horizon.
This little phrase has replaced the old reliable "You're weird" as her most common posting.
i forgot to say that your yard looks GREAT! Last time we were there, it was just dirt. I can't wait to see it.
Brandon "You're weird";)
Ashley looks soooo grown-up in her sunglasses!!
When do we get pictures of the swing set. It looks like lots of fun.
Stereotypical thought process/posting from Brandon:
1) Assess every little word in every comment
2) Review all 100's of previous comments from previous posts to compare every comment/picture/word
3) Evaluate for differences, similarities, and think about what i can write about them for eh, 30-90 minutes as i do my other activites of daily living since blogs consume ~75-90% of my day
4) "Now...what can i say that will implement a chuckle out of a couple of readers"
5) Type my thoughts/comments in Microsoft Word so that all my writing is spell-checked, italicized, bolded, etc. then cut and paste to blogspot.
6) "Hmm...what can i do to turn this post towards the attention of myself?"
7) Finally, make the finishing touches on each comment, type in the verification word, enter my blogger name, and ENTER. Post is done
8) "Now, on to the next blogs..." (Return to step 1)
Ha! You are way off base here. Blogs consume ~92% of my day...
ps. maybe i write that every time because i do think they are all cute and i do love them all and i really can't wait to see them...
p.p.s. Maybe I constantly check blogs and comment dumb things on them because I live a sad, lonely life on the road - and having communication with family members is a desperate attempt to keep in touch with the one thing I value most in life (family). Maybe my cries for attention are a reflection of my own insecurites.
Nah. I just like snyde remarks. And I'm a 13-year old in an enormous body.
I am chuckleing.
Jamie,
I'm in Fallon, and my white shirt needs ironing before I can wear it to church. I can't remember how to do it. Can you remind me? I wish you were here to help out...
Anyway...back to the blog...
We went to the library...they have a program, but no where near as fun as yours! The kids have to read like 8 hours to get a measly little paper back book...I guess my contracts are way better! I suppose I could take them to Fallon...?
Post a Comment