Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wicked and Something Yummy

My girls are really into the play Wicked. They love ALL of the songs and we listen to them constantly. They want to know the whole story - which I only know a little of it from reading from the internet - one day we were listening in the car and a song came on with the tin man in it. Ashley, frustrated, says, "Mom, I just want to know why Boq was turned into the tin man!" Now that Ashley knows the songs, she wants to know what they mean and the story behind it. Its pretty fun.

Kailyn, on the other hand, wants to play Wicked constantly. This is her most mornings. . .
K - Mom, you have a choice, play wicked or not.
Me - Play wicked - who do you want me to be.
K- Nessa (wicked witch of the East) and Elphie's (Wicked witch of the west) mom.
Me- Isn't she dead?
K - Yeah, but you can just pretend to be dead while you walk around.
Personally, I think I have it great. Kailyn thinks I am playing with her while I am free to do what I want!

To hear a sample of one of our favorite songs, click here, and then scroll down to the end of act 1 and there is a box with Defying Gravity and push play!

Second of all, I have this great new soup recipe from my Aunt Karlene that I want to share. And, last year my Grandma Luke taught me how to make French Bread, and I love it because it is easy to make, no mess and really yummy!

Sausage Soup

1 lb. sweet sausage (I have yet to find sweet sausage so I use mild italian sausage)
4 potatoes cubed
2 cans cannelini beans - or white - drain and rinse
2-3 cloves garlic

Fry sausage and garlic. Add potatoes (can add carrots) and 1 box chicken stock (I just used chicken broth). Cook till potatoes are tender. Add beans and heat. Add a bag of baby spinach (I don't know what size bag so the bag I bought I ended up only using half). Cook. (We also added cream, obviously to make it creamy) Serve with parmesan cheese.

French Bread

1 pkg. dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. soft shortening
1 1/2 c. very warm water
1 1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in one-half cup water. Dissolve sugar and salt in remaining 1 cup water in a 2 qt. bowl. Add shortening and yeast. Mix well. Add flour and stir well. (I have ended up using only 3 1/2 - 3 3/4, because it was a little dry and I had a hard time incorporating the flour) Cover. Work through dough with wooden spoon at ten minute intervals for 5 consecutive times.

Turn dough on lightly floured board and divide in half. Shape in balls and let rest 10 minutes. Roll each ball into a 9 x 12 inch shape, then roll up like a jelly roll. Start with long side. Seal edges. Place on greased baking sheet. Score top 6 times diagonally. Cover with towel and let rise 1 1/2 hours. Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes. Brush with butter.


9 comments:

Jeanne Garner said...

Oh boy Wyatt is so cute. HE totally reminded me,Abby, and Grace of Kaylin. We are into Wicked also. I hope to see it in new york soon. Also, Kim I bought the book this past summer. It is good and the play sort of follows it but it is kind of hard to read (its graphic and such, know what I mean). I have to try those recipes sounds good.

Anonymous said...

I love this:
"Mom,you have a choice..."

Anonymous said...

those kids are too cute. kim, i've been wanting to call you and get that french bread recipe. it was soo good when we had it...i think about it a lot:) mmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Cute, Cute, Cute!!!

That's all I have to say;)

Mom

Teri said...

Hey I made this soup last night! It was a big hit at my house. It was fun to see my kids eating their spinich. Thanks

Garn Video Productions said...

test

Brandon said...

failed

nettie said...

kim, do you like bread now, or are you posting that for all us bread-loving people?

nettie said...

and what about nuts? do you like those yet?